So you’re sitting in the doctor’s office and you get an unexpected ultimatum. You didn’t think your health was that bad, but now you’re being told about the 5 med hamster wheel with bonus side effects you’re going to be on for the rest of your life. Well that’s a terrifying moment. Once you catch your breath, what to do next?
Most important in that moment is to know that YOU HAVE OPTIONS……usually beyond what your medical doctor may feel comfortable telling you. The truth is that clean eating can alone is a very important option; one that can help you reduce or eliminate the need for medication or all those side effects.
Now wait a minute? What if clean eating could reduce or keep you off expensive medications? It Can! My friend Kelly even avoided heart surgery after a heart attack just through adopting a cleaner diet. He begged the doc to wait 3 months, learned how to eat clean, and 3 months later…..no surgery.
But what is clean eating? What does it mean and where do you start?
Clean eating can mean many different things these days, everything from non-GMO plant-based only to including “pastured meats,” with grain, without grain, or just avoiding sugar. It can be confusing to know what’s best for you. I recommend a range of options that allow people to transition more smoothly.
But you don’t have to know everything about clean eating in advance to get started when you’re in a fix. Here are some tips about what to look for:
- Resolve to Learn as You Go. Many plans offer eating plans and recipes, but fail to teach you how to eat clean and simple. Choose a plan that encourages learning new habits, and learn-as-you-go.
- Start with a Detox to Speed Healing, then move to Maintenance. That’s what Kelly did! A Detox does mean limiting your food a bit in the beginning, but you can do that. Just make sure the plan you choose eventually teaches you how to eat clean afterwards.
- MUST INCLUDE: Stress Reduction Techniques. Why? The World Health Organization now lists mental health (stress) as a major contributor to chronic disease. If you’re reading this article, likely the diagnosis you received was just that; heart disease, stroke, diabetes, etc.
- Minimal Exercise. Your plan must include a minimum of 15 – 20 minutes of exercise daily that gets your heart pumping. Walking will do.
- Track Your Progress. The best way to gain knowledge about how your body is responding is to track what you eat, your weight patterns, and your daily mental outlook.
For best results, work with a coach or natural health professional who can help you personalize your food to match your health needs during and after your detox when you start eating to maintain health.
If you need help now, start with my 10 Day Cleanse and enroll in my next 30 Day Detox. The online course with the 30 Day program teaches you the hows and whys of eating clean, gives you daily stress reduction, and even regular personal support from me.
Knowledge is power. You’re on the right track KNOWING you have More options than a lifetime of medication and side effects.